Early Learning Opportunities
Derby Public Schools is proud to offer several different early childhood learning programs. These programs meet the social, emotional and educational needs of a variety of students. Please see below to learn more about the various opportunities available in our district and to see if your child may qualify.
Cooper Elementary offers an Early Childhood Special Education program for students ages 3-Kindergarten entry with a developmental delay in one or more areas:
- Physical: Fine motor, gross motor, sensory
- Cognitive: Problem solving, thinking skills
- Communication: Language, articulation
- Adaptive/Self-Help: Dressing, feeding
In conjunction with the Early Childhood Special Education program, eligible students without disabilities are selected through a lottery system to serve as “peer models.” Students must be screened and recommended through Project KIDS.
Additional Early Learning Programs offered at Derby Public Schools:
- Early Childhood Block Grant Program (must be 4 prior to August 31, 2023)
- TOP Early Learning Center (must be 4 prior to August 31, 2023)
- Parents As Teachers (from pregnancy to age 5)
- Wee Panther Pals (serves ages 3-Kindergarten entry)